Struggling with Unemployment

Hello all,

Today marks a year of unemployment for me since my last paid role at an internship for a market research agency. It has been a truly difficult year to say the least....sometimes I wonder how I'm still alive after going through countless rejections for jobs. I made a recent post a little bit more about myself and my situation, so feel free to have a read just so you can understand with some context.

I feel as though I just cannot seem to gain unemployment...it seems so unattainable, especially with recruiting processes set up mainly for the neurotypical world. For most of the jobs I applied for, I managed to get past the CV stage, but the rejection almost seems to occur at the interview stage or if there is an assessment that requires you to record a video of yourself answering a question. I'll be honest, interviews are not my strength at all - basically anything that requires you to speak or sell yourself - I just cannot thrive in such areas, even having made an attempt to improve on these skills. I could only sell myself through my work and skills - let the work do the talking for you. 

Does anyone have any advice on how to tackle unemployment with interviews not being a strong suit? Could you just request for an alternative way of assessment such as a trial shift or portfolio rather than an interview?

Parents
  • you have to lie on your cv... any job gaps the employers dont like... currently unemployed? no they dont like that, you have to claim your still currently working with your previous employer... its ok they dont check, all they do is ask you about your notice period and then question that when you say you can start instantly. but its ok, they dont really care lol they do want your cv to claim your currently working, and to have no gaps at all... i think thats how i got a job, after like 16 years or so unemployed i decided to stretch times to cover employment gaps and also change my end date of the last job from a end date to "present". i dont care if people say its wrong, its literally the only way you get picked for a job and survive...and survival is all that matters.

• My last employer checked very carefully my references and all employers covering the previous five years.  They even demanded references covering my periods of unemployment.  It was all over the top.  I had problems because I couldn't give a reference for Dec 2019.  I got a phone call that one employer stated that I was working for them in Nov 2019 and another in Jan 2020.  But what about Dec 2019? Was I unemployed?  I said yes, they insisted that the job centre confirm all my gaps in employment.

The employer was Brook Street and I was working at the department of transport through them.

• My last employer checked very carefully my references and all employers covering the previous five years.  They even demanded references covering my periods of unemployment.  It was all over the top.  I had problems because I couldn't give a reference for Dec 2019.  I got a phone call that one employer stated that I was working for them in Nov 2019 and another in Jan 2020.  But what about Dec 2019? Was I unemployed?  I said yes, they insisted that the job centre confirm all my gaps in employment.

The employer was Brook Street and I was working at the department of transport through them.

Children