Diagnosed late in life

I am 57 female and have been diagnosed with autism level 1, my psychiatrist also practically told me I have adhd too but need to have a separate assessment to fully diagnose adhd. I have an awful lot of traits. This is all come as a shock because all my life I've been struggling to get by in general, and feeling different from everyone else. Has anyone else been diagnosed late in life too? 

Parents
  • Yes. I'm 55 and was diagnosed 12 days ago. What you've expressed sounds exactly like me. I feel shocked, and at the same time, a sense of relief. I've been trying to figure out some "missing piece" to me, some reason as to why I've never fit in, despite constant effort. Coping with and accepting this unexpected diagnosis has been especially challenging: Three hours after my diagnosis, I received an email saying that my father was in the hospital, likely dying from Covid compounded with Parkinson's. Yesterday it was determined nothing more can be done for him medically, and he's now in hospice care. I live on the other side of the world, and I'm unable to see him. At this point, I'm...I don't even know how to finish this sentence. 

• Yes. I'm 55 and was diagnosed 12 days ago. What you've expressed sounds exactly like me. I feel shocked, and at the same time, a sense of relief. I've been trying to figure out some "missing piece" to me, some reason as to why I've never fit in, despite constant effort. Coping with and accepting this unexpected diagnosis has been especially challenging: Three hours after my diagnosis, I received an email saying that my father was in the hospital, likely dying from Covid compounded with Parkinson's. Yesterday it was determined nothing more can be done for him medically, and he's now in hospice care. I live on the other side of the world, and I'm unable to see him. At this point, I'm...I don't even know how to finish this sentence. 

Children
No Data