From elation to deflation

Hi,

After being on a high in the last fortnight (after the revelation of being Autistic), I am now feeling very much deflated. 

Having felt liberated, now reality has set in. 

Amongst the positives of now understanding myself, and now giving myself permission to be me (to some extent), and no longer being ashamed to embrace the things that help me. I told myself that it was okay that I didn't want a partner. I now could justify it and not follow social convention. 

But now, I feel sad. I've not had a relationship for more than 20 years. I was in an abusive relationship before that, and then life got complicated, and time has ticked on. 

I'm having to be really honest with myself. I have RSD (rejection sensitivity dysphoria) and I struggle with quite low self esteem.

How can I get passed this ?  I'm in my fifties. I don't really want to be alone for the rest of my life

Any advice ? 

Parents
  • I think we all have a rollercoaster of emotions after diagnosis. I’m certainly still on a journey after approximately six months.

It’s not clear to me whether you actually want a relationship or just feel that society expects that you should. 

I very much want one but went from feeling empowered by my new knowledge to almost feeling like it’s confirmed that it is literally impossible because I’m autistic and I can’t change that.

But I know that there are lots of autistic people on here who have somehow achieved it (I suspect it involves black magic).

I'm having to be really honest with myself. I have RSD (rejection sensitivity dysphoria) and I struggle with quite low self esteem.

How can I get passed this ?  I'm in my fifties. I don't really want to be alone for the rest of my life

I’m the same and would love some real advice (or a magic wand).

• feeling like it’s confirmed that it is literally impossible because I’m autistic and I can’t change that.

But I know that there are lots of autistic people on here who have somehow achieved it (I suspect it involves black magic).

That's exactly how feel.   

I do want a relationship. Sorry for the confusion. 

Reply Children
No Data