Autistic adult - seeking advice on load/unbearable noises

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone can help me/give advice on this matter 

Yesterday there was this alarm going off in the shop/shop next to me (idk where it went off exactly) but it was insanely load. Loader than the fire alarm at work. We were made to leave the shop while Thinkingwas going off with the door to it closing (idk what was going on other than someone saying it was a fire alarm and wait for instructions, mind I think it was a faulty alarm) Thinking 

Anyway, this alarm was very load. Too loud for my liking. It made me feel dizzy, scared, a bit sick and made me wanna curl up in a ball and cry. Luckily I was with someone I know, so I was clinging onto them when it was happening. Also it made me start having an attack, I um unsure on how to describe it other than it felt near enough like a panic attack. I would normally cover my ears if a noise is too much for me but unfortunately I was unable to do so this time.

Ofc I tried to calm myself down by using breathing technique, but it's the noise was unbearable Disappointed

I found it a bit overwhelming on a busy buss with lots of people talking. However I've been told by my parents that I never liked load noises, but honestly I don't remember and just don't understand.

I am diagnosed with Asperger's (Autism) when I was about 8 and now in my mid 20's I'm learning more and more about myself. Along with trying to learn how I can help myself in these situations 

Is there any ideas how I can help/cope with such noises in these situations other than breathing techniques? 

Parents
  • I used to have earplugs a while back—I lost them—and, despite being quite difficult to insert and remove (I think that varies and depends on which earplugs you get), they do work quite fairly well for me. For breathing techniques, I'm afraid that I don't really know much about it.

• I used to have earplugs a while back—I lost them—and, despite being quite difficult to insert and remove (I think that varies and depends on which earplugs you get), they do work quite fairly well for me. For breathing techniques, I'm afraid that I don't really know much about it.

Children
  • Thank you Blush Ive just been told, by my mum, that she's may be getting me some ear defenders as a early Christmas present. 

I'm a little nervous on wearing them (mind they look like headphones) as I've only seen one adult wearing a pair when I'm out and about. Most of the time it's kids. As well as that I never worn any when I was younger. Im not too bothered about it, other than hopefully they would help Smile