Declined an assessment...

Hey guys!

I find myself here again looking for advice.

I was referred for an Ausmtism assessment back in July, was sent some forms in August... and finally heard back a few days ago saying that, although I'm "clearly struggling in some areas, [they] don't think I need an assessment at this time." Despite having sent a whole other document full of traits, that I feel point towards me being Autistic, as I couldn't fit everything on the form. Apparently my form didn't show *enough* traits...

I feel quite downhearted, and like I've been completely dismissed. I've don't a lot of reading up about Autism over this year, and I don't think I'm wrong in this.. too much of my life experiences now make sense under this lens for me to want to just let it go...

I have put in for a 2nd opinion, but my appointment isn't until mid January...

I've never had to do this before...

And I'm worried that it'll just get me nowhere again, though I'm gonna keep trying... the message my doctor sent when suggesting a 2nd opinion said about maybe looking privately... would they refer me for such for free, or do I have to pay in that case?

Has anyone else been through similar?

What did you do in the end?

Parents
  • If you have not done every autism test available (AQ10, AQ50, RAADS-R etc.) then do them, the results will be useful ammunition. Also look up the autism diagnostic criteria in the manuals (ICD-10 and The DSM-5), make sure that you have examples of traits and experiences to cover all the required criteria. Just be very thorough.

• If you have not done every autism test available (AQ10, AQ50, RAADS-R etc.) then do them, the results will be useful ammunition. Also look up the autism diagnostic criteria in the manuals (ICD-10 and The DSM-5), make sure that you have examples of traits and experiences to cover all the required criteria. Just be very thorough.

Children
  • I did do a bunch of tests that I found on the Embrace Autism website, and scored above the threshold on all of them.

Then had me do the AQ-50, and RAADS-R as well before deciding whether to access me or not.

The seperate document I sent with traits that I have did cover pretty much everything, at least in the DSM-5, I feel like.