What's the point? (Useless / Gimmicky Things)

Technology, invention, enhancements and all that can be very benefitial.
BUT there are certain new things, ideas and the such that just leave me scratching my head thinking "Why?"

A couple of recent examples

Alexa enabled kettle....Why?
If I were to have the "convenience" of being able to ask Alexa to boil the kettle, a prerequisite would be to have water in the kettle in the first place.
So, ok I fill the kettle up after I used it last time, but at that time I don't know whether I would be wanting to make a cuppa for just myself or maybe others in the house as well.
I could put 4 cups worth of water in teh kettle, but that would no be energy efficinet if I'm only making 1 cup of tea.
The kettle isn't going to make the tea for me, so I already have to go to the kitchen, get the required number of mugs, a teaspoon, teabags / coffee, sugar - something that I could do whilst waiting for the kettle to boil (having just filled it to the required level using water "fresh" from the tap).

See Inside Fridge....Really?
If you haven't seen these advertised, they are fridges that you can see the contents inside without having to open the fridge door (I think you press a button or tap on the door). The contents are then displayed on a screen that is part of the door.
Alternativelyt you could save a lot of money and buy a "normal" fridge where you can see inside by simply......opening the f***ing door and using your eyes.
Playing devil's advocate, I believe that it could be of some use say if you were out at the supermarket and wasn't sure if you needed more milk. You could open an app on your phone and take a look in your fridge from isle 101 of Tesco. I'm more old school though - I check my firdge & cupboards and make a list before I go out to the shop.

The way that I see it, the more of these unnecessary add on features a product has, the more they're goign to cost and there are more things to go wrong.

Does anyone have (and is willing to confess to) either of the above items?

What would you add to the list? 

Parents
  • If the kettle was combined with a teasmade from years ago it would be able to pour the water too so for someone disabled maybe that would help. 

Regarding things going wrong lots of appliances with computers in could be more difficult to fix or for me to use in the first place. I like dials and buttons.

• If the kettle was combined with a teasmade from years ago it would be able to pour the water too so for someone disabled maybe that would help. 

Regarding things going wrong lots of appliances with computers in could be more difficult to fix or for me to use in the first place. I like dials and buttons.

Children
No Data