Friends reaction

Hi,

I told a friend this afternoon about my recent revelation of being autistic.  I've known her for years, and I thought she'd be supportive, but she wasn't at all. She questioned why I'd want to have a label. And she also said "well we are all on the spectrum to a degree". I felt she was being distant, and almost dismissive. I tried to explain how this revelation has been positive and is very freeing for me. Our phone conversation has upset me. And I wonder if it's time to move on from this friendship. This isn't the first time she upset me in recent months.

Has anyone else had this experience? I'd like to hear your views. 

Parents
  • Hi Justbe, 

When I got my diagnosis I had a feeling that most people would take it well but I have this one friend who, while we're very close, is always very dismissive of anything medical and I was hesitant about sharing it with her because I had a feeling I would get a similar response. 

I was pretty spot on - while she didn't outwardly deny/question my diagnosis, I could see she didn't take it seriously and she almost had to suppress herselt rolling her eyes. I agree, this is upsetting, but I future it's a bit of a numbers game. Not everyone is going to take the news well even if most do. 

Maybe this is just a friend who you don't share that much of that side of your life with and that's okay? It might feel like you can't be your authentic self around them though and that might mean you naturally grow apart. And that may be no bad thing too. 

Whatever comes of it, down the line, just try and be at peace with it and try not to take it personally. This sounds like a 'them' issue not yours. Slight smile

• Maybe this is just a friend who you don't share that much of that side of your life with and that's okay? It might feel like you can't be your authentic self around them though and that might mean you naturally grow apart. And that may be no bad thing too. 

Whatever comes of it, down the line, just try and be at peace with it and try not to take it personally. This sounds like a 'them' issue

• Maybe this is just a friend who you don't share that much of that side of your life with and that's okay? It might feel like you can't be your authentic self around them though and that might mean you naturally grow apart. And that may be no bad thing too. 

Whatever comes of it, down the line, just try and be at peace with it and try not to take it personally. This sounds like a 'them' issue

Children