Friends reaction

Hi,

I told a friend this afternoon about my recent revelation of being autistic.  I've known her for years, and I thought she'd be supportive, but she wasn't at all. She questioned why I'd want to have a label. And she also said "well we are all on the spectrum to a degree". I felt she was being distant, and almost dismissive. I tried to explain how this revelation has been positive and is very freeing for me. Our phone conversation has upset me. And I wonder if it's time to move on from this friendship. This isn't the first time she upset me in recent months.

Has anyone else had this experience? I'd like to hear your views. 

Parents
  • 'No wonder you’ve been having such a hard time, you must be reassessing your whole life and figuring out who you are.” 

Such a simple thing to say, but so meaningful. One of my friends said something similar to me. I wish more people wold realise the impact an autism diagnosis can have in terms of identity and self-forgiveness. 

• 'No wonder you’ve been having such a hard time, you must be reassessing your whole life and figuring out who you are.” 

Such a simple thing to say, but so meaningful. One of my friends said something similar to me. I wish more people wold realise the impact an autism diagnosis can have in terms of identity and self-forgiveness. 

Children
No Data