What is the autistic spectrum?

The electromagnetic spectrum is basically different kinds of electromagnetic energy, forming  a series according to their  wavelengths.

So, the autistic spectrum is different kinds of autism, forming some kind of series?

What different kinds (diagnosises?) of autism are there? And what is, eg, level 2 ASD? And how does it form a series? What’s the autism equivalent of wavelength?

Can anyone explain this to me?

• or anyone who has to work with university level maths in general.

• I think us IT folk have an advantage over others when it comes to conceptualising that 

• As the concept seems to have been conceived by medics rather than scientists, there should be no real surprise that it is not a spectrum in the scientific sense - divided into measurable graduations and being linear. The autism 'spectrum' is envisaged, in reality, as a colour wheel. The colours representing various traits that can vary in intensity between individual autistic people. For example, I am fairly good at recognising facial expressions, another autistic might be very poor at this. I have major difficulties with texture sensitivity, a sensory element of my autism, but another autistic could have zero texture sensitivity. 

• the term spectrum is actually not that great its just that 'high dimentional trate space' doesn't role off the tounge so easily.