Autism & housing?

How does a AS diagnosis help regarding housing (if at all?) 

I have been in a rough living situation for about 8 months and before then i was served a non fault S21 which shattered my world after 7 years of being settled in a place. My 'nest' is my safe place and i cannot stand change or the risk of loosing it. It's the foundation of my life and extremely important to me its like an obsession.

Currently i am suffering mentally due to my living situation. So I'm curious now i have an AS diagnosis is it possible to get secure housing or something? What can i get help with or is there nothing?

Thank you

Parents
  • If you’re in England, there is not a point system at all. 
    There is five tests of homelessness.. 

Being able to evidence your homeless 

Being eligible for assistance 

Having a priority need (which looks at how vulnerable you are) 

whether you have done anything to make yourself intentionally homeless 

whether you have a local connection to that area. 

if you were served a no fault eviction and the landlord will confirm there were no issues with you as a tenant you wouldn’t be intentionally homeless. The most complicated test is the priority need. If you’re a British citizen your eligible, if you have lived in the authority for 6 out of the last 12 years or 3 out of the last five then you have a local connection to that area (there other things that give you a local connection - close family members and employment). 

priority need looks at your vulnerabilities and how well you would cope as street homeless in comparison to a person with no health concerns. So autism won’t give you an automatic priority need, you would have to be able to demonstrate and evidence how it makes your more vulnerable. 

we are in a massive housing crisis so this is a huge lack of social\council housing and affordable PRS properties.

good luck with it :) the first step is approaching your local authority but go armed with all the evidence 

• for council housing there is a points system.

for declaring homeless, no.... to get a council house... yes... but you have to also bid for the council house so it doesnt stop at points, you have to apply for each individual house that comes up you dont get placed you have to bid for each and every house that comes on the list..

experience; i have been on the council house list twice for wigan, and once for bolton.... think i might still have one of the points sheets somewhere, they send them out every year i think. might have binned it though but it gives you all the points and what you can score points on and over a certain amount of points you get banded into different categories.... probably A B and C if i remember correct

Reply Children
  • "Councils decide who gets offered housing based on a ‘points’ or ‘banding’ system."

then farther down it explains the biding system i was on about

"Find a property: check in local papers, on council websites, in council offices or in local libraries.

Check you can apply for it: some properties are only suitable for single people, families or disabled people.

Apply: this is known as ‘bidding’, but it does not involve money. You can bid online, by phone or by text.

Get the council’s decision."

although slightly wrong, you dont check local papers, who does that? thats outdated.... they have a specific online council system in which they give you a list of all the new placed available houses and you one click apply for them on their own site, so no need to worry about fussing with papers, its a really easy system they have. its the exact same as applying for a job. oh but yeah they do list on them restrictions.... so for me being a single male in my 30s alot of them wasnt allowed for me... i wasnt allowed to bid for any properties more than 1 bedroom because that was for people who needed more than 1 bedroom, and then when i found a single bedroom i wasnt allowed it because it was then ringfenced for older people... its a really bad system and excludes you if your a single young male..... is it any wonder that most homeless people are single young men?