Eating Difficulties/ Do I have ARFID?

Hi Everyone!

I was diagnosed in September this year, just before my 21st Birthday. I've always had a good relationship with food, I wasn't a picky child. I went through a period of having Anorexia when I was 14-16 but apart from that, I've always been a good eater.

Over the past 6months things have changed significantly. I've had safe foods - most commonly pitta bread pizzas or pizza of some variety. My favourite foods appear as hyperfixations, where I'll eat one thing for weeks and then never touch it at all.

Over the past month, I've had no safe foods and find myself terrified to eat anything new. I fear that it'll make me sick due to not being cooked correctly, or the texture itself makes me feel sick.

I'm working with a therapist currently and have been open about these difficulties, however I've only been recommended to try vegetables etc. I'm good at trying most foods, but I won't eat them more than that. Sometimes I'll like it once and can't stomach it ever again.

I'm eating less than one meal per day at this stage, weights dropping etc but not too concerningly. Over the past year, my hair's been falling out in chunks multiple times per day and the doctors advised a blood test - I'm Agoraphobic and cannot leave home so this wasn't possible. My health is deteriorating and I'm very unsure of what to do.

I suppose my question is does anyone have any advice? Is this ARFID? Is it something else? Has anyone experienced anything similar?

Parents Reply Children
No Data