Positive Psychiatry UK Experience - 16 Days from request to diagnosis

Hey all, 

Firstly, thanks for this forum and your participation, its brought me much comfort over the past few weeks. I’ve been on a journey for a couple of years, reading and exploring if I might be Autistic, and because of this forum and the positive examples many of you set, I felt confident to go ahead with an assessment. Thank you.  

Secondly, I wanted to share my experience with Psychiatry UK for an ASC diagnosis. Timeline as follows:

8 Nov 2023 - Created an account and paid for a private ASC assessment 

9 Nov 2023 - Received Self and Informant questionnaires and AQ-50 to complete. 

15 Nov 2023 - Returned completed questionnaires and AQ-50

24 Nov 2023 - Assessment completed and diagnosed as Autistic. 

Other than a couple of false starts on scheduling appointments between the 15th and 24th Nov and consultants not being available, the process was smooth and the team at Psychiatry UK were kind and caring throughout. 

Parents
  • So they must have lied when they said this:

In the interest of fairness, we are contacting people in date order from the time that we received your referral.

On October 19th they re-opened the Right to Choose pathway, despite having patients referred 6+ months ago still waiting. But apparently private customers can still get the whole process done in 16 days, whereas NHS patients might wait 2-3 months just to be added to the system after referral.

I think it's just about money, they don't give a *** about the patients. They continue to overload themselves and increase their waiting lists.

• it is.... paying customers essentially jump the que as they need to keep paying customers satisfied.
    this is likely why nhs free referals have to wait so long.... when a new paying customer comes along all the free nhs referals get pushed down more.

• But it means they lied then? I don't like when people lie. Here is what they have said in some of their responses to negative reviews:

whether you come to P-UK as an NHS or private patient, you are equally valued and will always receive the same level of care

We would like to clarify that we make no distinction between RTC and private patients in our approach to their care, or in the treatments which are advised.

From reading the negative reviews of them it sounds like they are very heavily swamped with a high number of ADHD referrals. But then why re-open the referrals?

They used to have a page of "myths" about them, which they appear to have deleted, but it originally said this:

1.We do not treat private patients or RTC patients any differently

In the face of delays, this is one we’re hearing a lot. Understandably private paying patients may feel the private pathway should take precedence over the NHS patients we are seeing under the Right to Choose.  Unfortunately, this isn’t the case and we do not discriminate against patients in this manner. All ADHD patients have the option to select the Right to Choose service and we openly encourage this with a notice on our booking form.

We don’t get any more or less money from the NHS Right to Choose service than we do from private paying patients and the only difference in treatment is an initial 2 week wait while we process your GP’s referral for Right to Choose patients.

• But it means they lied then? I don't like when people lie. Here is what they have said in some of their responses to negative reviews:

whether you come to P-UK as an NHS or private patient, you are equally valued and will always receive the same level of care

We would like to clarify that we make no distinction between RTC and private patients in our approach to their care, or in the treatments which are advised.

From reading the negative reviews of them it sounds like they are very heavily swamped with a high number of ADHD referrals. But then why re-open the referrals?

They used to have a page of "myths" about them, which they appear to have deleted, but it originally said this:

1.We do not treat private patients or RTC patients any differently

In the face of delays, this is one we’re hearing a lot. Understandably private paying patients may feel the private pathway should take precedence over the NHS patients we are seeing under the Right to Choose.  Unfortunately, this isn’t the case and we do not discriminate against patients in this manner. All ADHD patients have the option to select the Right to Choose service and we openly encourage this with a notice on our booking form.

We don’t get any more or less money from the NHS Right to Choose service than we do from private paying patients and the only difference in treatment is an initial 2 week wait while we process your GP’s referral for Right to Choose patients.

Children
  • Yeah they are liars, I was passed onto them over 8 months ago from my GP via Right to choose and I’ve still not had anything back from them. Went with Clinical Partners and got diagnosed within 8 weeks via RTC.

• one thing you can always count on in this society is for people who are driven by money to lie. its management, its business, but we also see it in ourselves in many ways which i dont wanna point out incase i offend people on here. but money breeds dishonesty, and we live in a monetary system. it isnt the individual peoples problem though, its moneys problem. as my nan used to say money is the route of all evil.

• theres not been budget cuts, factually the issue has been budget freezing instead.

• With COVID in mind and the stresses that put on it, the NHS is just totally swamped. There's no possible way to deal with everything at once, this follows over a decade of mismanagement from our government (budget cuts since 2010 have left a £37 billion hole in funding). Unfortunately, it's what's happened and common people face the consequences.

My process took nearly 2 years to complete. But I'm glad I stuck at it. And I'm glad it was free.