Dyscalculia and excuse

When I told some people that I have severe Dyscalculia and that I don't know how to do most basic math and that I don't know how to do Calculus even, some of them think that I am using that as an excuse for not being good at math. I had failed math most of my school years and it's not just me being only bad at math, and I still don't know how to do most basic math as a 22 year old and that is not normal. I tried explaining that to them, but they didn't listen.

Some people think that everyone can learn math, the question is if they understand that when you reach a limit before Dyscalculia manifests.

Parents
  • Same.

Quite simply = My brain is completely incapable of arithmetic.

However, I am perfectly capable of Mathematics. I can calculate and extrapolate. I can use equations and formulas. But I need a calculator for basic arithmetic.

But because I can't do basic arithmetic. I was branded as thick and failed math.

Mathematics in school had two parts. Aided and unaided. With, and without a calculator.

I got full marks in the aided. I couldn't answer a single question in the unaided. I failed the entire year because of that.

Fair? Well. From what I've learned about the world and neurodiversity. Nothing is fair.

Reply Children
No Data