Is it ok to self diagnose as autistic, while waiting for a referral and diagnosis?

I have recently asked my GP to refer me for an assessment for autism. As I’ve discovered some traits that were autistic. Especially when I was younger. I got my medical notes from birth to 2016. 
the signs were right there when I was younger, all through growing up to now and not one person (teachers, doctors, therapists) have said anything or recognised anything. I know I am a girl and I know that sometimes girls get lost in the system because we don’t present ourselves as “autistic” like boys present themselves. 

So, is it ok to say I’m autistic, while I am waiting for a referral? 

Parents Reply Children
  • I am so sorry that you didn’t actually know you that you are autistic and that the information was not accessible to you! You deserve to know who you are!

I can’t imagine how distressing that might have been to find that out knowing that potentially your life could have been different.

I hope we can help you understand your autistic experience and identity!

It’s a huge discovery!

How did you feel about the situation?

1. I just found out that my autism was bought up through my medical notes and was never ever bought up again. It wasn’t even discussed with anyone. They just saw it, filed it and ignored it. So I could have been diagnosed 13 years ago and got the help and support I needed to stop being what they called was “an odd kid” and a “bad kid” if they had went through with referral and diagnosing me. 
  • You are very welcome!

You are obviously the expert on your own brain and autistic experiences!

We understand the importance of self identification as many members of our autistic community know how hard it is to gain formal identification, after all it is not a very autistic friendly process.

Finally, welcome to your autistic community!