Sensory Overload

Hi guys, 

I’m just wondering if anyone has any advice on what to do when you realise you are in sensory overload (especially with friends or in public). Also, does anyone have any advice on how to prevent becoming sensorily overloaded or how to recognise the triggers? Thank you so much in advance.

Sincerely,

Someone who really struggles with sensory overload 

Parents
  • Restaurants with too many voices tend to disorient my senses. I noticed someone else posted how much they hate the grocery store - me too! The lights, too many people, too much noise - ugh. 

I also go to the ladies room to deep breathe, reorient my senses in the quiet. Cold water on my wrists is something a teacher taught me in 1st grade! It works. 

One thing I always have done - even before I had a diagnosis-  is drive my own car wherever I am going. This way, if I get too overstimulated or am on near-panic mode … I can leave.   This usually only happens if I am really tired or if I have been out too long.  So now, I nap an hour before going out with friends (try a weighted blanket - heaven!) and I drive my own car. Escape is easier this way. 

Try Flare Ear Plugs - they are unnoticeable! It buffers the annoying noises but you can still hear conversations -really  helps! (Amazon).  

If you get overwhelmed- just be honest and tell a friend. 

• Restaurants with too many voices tend to disorient my senses. I noticed someone else posted how much they hate the grocery store - me too! The lights, too many people, too much noise - ugh. 

I also go to the ladies room to deep breathe, reorient my senses in the quiet. Cold water on my wrists is something a teacher taught me in 1st grade! It works. 

One thing I always have done - even before I had a diagnosis-  is drive my own car wherever I am going. This way, if I get too overstimulated or am on near-panic mode … I can leave.   This usually only happens if I am really tired or if I have been out too long.  So now, I nap an hour before going out with friends (try a weighted blanket - heaven!) and I drive my own car. Escape is easier this way. 

Try Flare Ear Plugs - they are unnoticeable! It buffers the annoying noises but you can still hear conversations -really  helps! (Amazon).  

If you get overwhelmed- just be honest and tell a friend. 

Children
No Data