Sensory Overload

Hi guys, 

I’m just wondering if anyone has any advice on what to do when you realise you are in sensory overload (especially with friends or in public). Also, does anyone have any advice on how to prevent becoming sensorily overloaded or how to recognise the triggers? Thank you so much in advance.

Sincerely,

Someone who really struggles with sensory overload 

Parents
  • I relate to this. I used to know i felt off or anxious but i couldn’t work out why, I now know if I don’t know why i feel that way, it’s probably because i am over stimulated.

I find that wearing sunglasses and headphone helps me. Especially if I am going out with others I always make sure I have my sunglasses with me. As others have mentioned going to the toilet and just regrouping and having a second alone quietly helps me too.  Lastly I find practicing breathing and grounding techniques helpful. That way if I am ever in a situation where I then feel over stimulated, I can try zone in on myself, how i’m breathing. 

I hope you find some strategies that help you feel more comfortable 

• I relate to this. I used to know i felt off or anxious but i couldn’t work out why, I now know if I don’t know why i feel that way, it’s probably because i am over stimulated.

I find that wearing sunglasses and headphone helps me. Especially if I am going out with others I always make sure I have my sunglasses with me. As others have mentioned going to the toilet and just regrouping and having a second alone quietly helps me too.  Lastly I find practicing breathing and grounding techniques helpful. That way if I am ever in a situation where I then feel over stimulated, I can try zone in on myself, how i’m breathing. 

I hope you find some strategies that help you feel more comfortable 

Children