No...we won't be doing reasonable adjustment

Following a third grievance for failure to provide a reasonable adjustment (necessary information given late, inaccurately, or not at all) my work have said they're just not going to bother anymore.

They've admitted their complete failure to provide a very basic adjustment, of zero cost, and basically said: "What are you going to do about it?"

It's not that they can't provide the reasonable adjustment, it's just not something they want to do. It would set a precedent of actually giving support.

That's alongside a couple of upheld grievances regarding management using discriminatory language about me, plus another upheld grievance for a different failure of reasonable adjustment.

Insulting settlement rejected. ACAS involved. Tribunal likely.

Parents
  • They've admitted their complete failure to provide a very basic adjustment, of zero cost, and basically said: "What are you going to do about it?"

I would say get this in writing or at the very least get a friendly witness for the interactions - these will all help you secure a healthy payout in a court case.

If nothing else it gives you the chance to respond to the "what are you going to do" question with "sue your asses off and get you sacked - does that answer the question?"

• Excellent - time to engage an employment solicitor in my opinion.

They admit to breaking the law, you have a credible witness and they have a track record of failing to deliver - you can probably get one of the no-win-no-fee solicitors but try to ensure they have experience of dealing with disability discrimination cases and make sure to give them some links to get up to speed on autism.

If you can afford it then hiring a lawyer with autism experience and employmnet law would be the most effective way to get more of any claim for your own pocket.

Let the solicitor advise on the course of action - all this would be my way of dealing with your situation.

• Dealing with this via the law courts is the only way to tackle disability discrimination, as disabled people are treated like rubbish all the time and this has to be stopped - most abusive employers are terrified by the idea of the courts or an industrial tribunal and they do everything to avoid and/or prevent it from happening - this must be put out there in the public arena for any real change to happen, as there comes a point where it’s no longer about money or compensation - they see us as troublemakers for challenging thier rotten attitudes and they need to be challenged - as ineffective as the system is perceived as being, a rare court victory can prompt big legislative change, especially if there is media coverage and abusive employers are shamed into action, perhaps the public outcry might even trigger a boycott - look at how LGBT people have fought for rights and equality for decades 

• Dealing with this via the law courts is the only way to tackle disability discrimination, as disabled people are treated like rubbish all the time and this has to be stopped - most abusive employers are terrified by the idea of the courts or an industrial tribunal and they do everything to avoid and/or prevent it from happening - this must be put out there in the public arena for any real change to happen, as there comes a point where it’s no longer about money or compensation - they see us as troublemakers for challenging thier rotten attitudes and they need to be challenged - as ineffective as the system is perceived as being, a rare court victory can prompt big legislative change, especially if there is media coverage and abusive employers are shamed into action, perhaps the public outcry might even trigger a boycott - look at how LGBT people have fought for rights and equality for decades 

Children
No Data