Mutism / non-verbal - Apps?

Last night I had a bit of a meltdown during which I went mute. I wanted to communicate ( I don’t think that I had gone into a full on shutdown), but I just could not speak.

we had the ambulance out and I was having to communicate with them by writing things down on paper.

This morning I am feeling quite calm and settled, but continue to be mute. Consciously I want to speak but it’s just not happening.

I’m sure that other forum members can relate to what I am experiencing at the moment. What do you guys do? Any tips? I’m looking for an iOS app to help me communicate (text to speech) that is free to use, but I’m not having much luck.

Parents
  • I personally use paper, I have a special notebook for it. Tho it's usually at home, but if I'm out I would normally have some kind of notebook on me anyway because I write.

For me a phone is a source of stress that brings in new variables. A notebook is simple. Though typing is less exerting than pen strokes.

It's good there's apps out there tho. I wonder if there are any Open Source ones available on f-droid?

For me I could probably speak a little if I forced myself to; but it would take a huge amount of effort compared to writing. It's one of those things where i can just feel my brain saying "no- no talky right now", so I obey. Brain knows best.

• I hear you ( no pun intended) regarding using a notepad.

last night I struggled to communicate with ambulance crew by just nodding, shaking head, thumbs up, etc.

my wife then gave me a notepad to write on which was much better. But in heightened state of meltdown it wasn’t easy. I had so much to say, but couldn’t speak the words.

after some time I calmed down a bit and found it easier to type my words on my computer with notepad.

• I am actually learning BSL because one of my closest friends who is hard of hearing is on the road to becoming completely deaf. I'm quite excited about the possibilities for non-verbal communication for myself.

• Great! I think BSL is beautiful! I hope you can find some effective alternative communication methods!

Reply Children
No Data