How do others access help and support

I am fairly recently diagnosed. I am finding it incredibly hard to get any sort of support, guidance, or counselling regarding my ASD. 

There are no local groups near me and the NHS waiting list for autism support is two years. 

Does anyone have any any advice?

Thanks. 

Parents
  • Hi there, and welcome to the community Slight smile

You may be interested in contacting a local National Autistic Society branch. Our branches offer support to local autistic people and their families. If you interesting in checking if there is a local branch near to you, please follow this link: https://www.autism.org.uk/what-we-do/local-branchesOur branches are volunteer-led, and as such every branch and group is different. Some are parent support groups, some provide support and information to autistic adults, while others have office premises and run their own a drop-in service. You will need to check with a branch directly for more information on whether they are able to provide a particular service that you are interested in. 

If you were interested in counselling (NHS & private), you may like to have a look on the Autism Services Directory: https://www.autism.org.uk/directory under ‘Health & Counsellors’. 

You may like to have a look at our health page on our website which gives some useful information in regards to help with everyday things like going to the doctor, dentist, or being in hospital: https://www.autism.org.uk/advice-and-guidance/topics/physical-health 

Hope something in there that helps.

SarahMod

• Thanks - I have had a look at those pages before - there are zero groups near me in Hastings. I am on a waiting list for NHS support as I can't afford private counselling. I have also emailed Autism.org.uk for more advice but I have not had a response. 

A friend told me about access to work - so I have applied for that - apparently support can be provided by them in some cases. 

I'm of no fixed abode at the minute. I work - I don't earn bad money - but even still there is no way I could afford to rent a one bedroom flat on my own with all the bills etc around here - I don't know how it is possible. 

I have heard that councils are obliged to help autistic people into accommodation but that could mean living in a dorm with 10 other people - I don't know about anyone else - but the thought of living with other people makes me feel sick and anxious. I would rather live in my car than with other people. 

• Thanks - I have had a look at those pages before - there are zero groups near me in Hastings. I am on a waiting list for NHS support as I can't afford private counselling. I have also emailed Autism.org.uk for more advice but I have not had a response. 

A friend told me about access to work - so I have applied for that - apparently support can be provided by them in some cases. 

I'm of no fixed abode at the minute. I work - I don't earn bad money - but even still there is no way I could afford to rent a one bedroom flat on my own with all the bills etc around here - I don't know how it is possible. 

I have heard that councils are obliged to help autistic people into accommodation but that could mean living in a dorm with 10 other people - I don't know about anyone else - but the thought of living with other people makes me feel sick and anxious. I would rather live in my car than with other people. 

Children
No Data