How do others access help and support

I am fairly recently diagnosed. I am finding it incredibly hard to get any sort of support, guidance, or counselling regarding my ASD. 

There are no local groups near me and the NHS waiting list for autism support is two years. 

Does anyone have any any advice?

Thanks. 

Parents
  • I've tried accessing support before but the support offered wasn't ideal and I was put on medication which IMO made me much worse. Since I've found helping myself with meditation and physical exercise like walking much more helpful.

I've found in my experience that must professionals don't understand Autism and don't know how to help.

• I've tried accessing support before but the support offered wasn't ideal and I was put on medication which IMO made me much worse. Since I've found helping myself with meditation and physical exercise like walking much more helpful.

I've found in my experience that must professionals don't understand Autism and don't know how to help.

Children
  • I’ve had the same experience. I have a therapist who openly acknowledged she was not experienced or qualified in autism but has made a real effort to educate herself.  But other than being a sympathetic ear she really hasn’t been able to offer any help or advice to me.