Autistic aging

I’ve seen a few posts recently about differences between older and younger autistic people and their attitudes, and I remember at least one thread about whether or not we look younger than neurotypicals.

I’m curious to know whether the “older” among you actually feel your age.

I know I look much younger than my age and I’m in great physical health but I also feel psychologically much younger than my true age. Perhaps because I feel I’m still learning social rules everyone else mastered by the age of 20? Or because I never got to be a parent, which must be one of the life experiences that truly signals to people that they are no longer the younger generation?

My dad felt very much that the world had changed and left him behind and so he had nothing in common with the young, but I never really felt I had anything in common with other people even why I was chronologically young myself so I don’t feel any more alienated now that I’m older.

Parents
  • I am 53 and have never really grown up. In many ways I am still stuck in the 80's in terms of culture. I am particually un woke. I have a mortgage, always worked, been married for 18 years but have never felt like a grown up. Didn't have kids by choice because I knew I could not handle being a parent , I am very selfish with my time.

• I am 53 and have never really grown up. In many ways I am still stuck in the 80's in terms of culture. I am particually un woke. I have a mortgage, always worked, been married for 18 years but have never felt like a grown up. Didn't have kids by choice because I knew I could not handle being a parent , I am very selfish with my time.

Children
No Data