Communication difficulties in relationships with neuro typicals

Evening

I’m New to this forum 

awaiting an NHS formal diagnosis 

So my question / advice needed 

all of my partners have said that I was at times aloof distanct and secretive at other times very intuitive. 

I now believe this could be because of autism

if a discussion with a partner  gets heated . I find myself not keeping up , I get emotionally overwhelmed and then before therapy angry .

I now can explain that I’m getting overwhelmed and need time out . Afterwards I have great difficulty remembering what was said. 

I have also found that I can make eye contact easily and hold contact. I believe this seams to make people open up to me and will continue to speak because I am interested due to me keeping eye contact.

however this seams to drain a lot of energy out of me and I then need space to recentre on myself 

Anyone have anything similar or can head me in a direction 

thanks 

Parents
  • I have similar experience. People tell me that i am easy to talk to, they open up, then i get overwhelmed. I now see it as a compliment whilst trying to look after myself at the same time. I say it as it is, im told im transparent, to the point. Perhaps its not "our problem" but the neurotypicals? Not a problem but conflicting if you like. I too struggle to remember what was said. I dont hold on to it, i dont repeat it, i can be trusted. Sadly not everyone is like that. There are many people like us, we just need to find them. Perhaps once you yourself understand it, you can explain this to others in your life, and that "your communication" is good and that its not a negative thing. Does that make sense? X

• I have similar experience. People tell me that i am easy to talk to, they open up, then i get overwhelmed. I now see it as a compliment whilst trying to look after myself at the same time. I say it as it is, im told im transparent, to the point. Perhaps its not "our problem" but the neurotypicals? Not a problem but conflicting if you like. I too struggle to remember what was said. I dont hold on to it, i dont repeat it, i can be trusted. Sadly not everyone is like that. There are many people like us, we just need to find them. Perhaps once you yourself understand it, you can explain this to others in your life, and that "your communication" is good and that its not a negative thing. Does that make sense? X

Children
  • Thanks Tulip , for your reply 

yes some of that resonates with some of my experiences . 
    especially the fact that some one will open up to me and I then feel overwhelmed, I’m not sure I feel it’s a compliment a bit like when I hear people think I’m a nice man , 

also the reference to be trusted to hold something that was said in confidence and not engage in gossip