Autism support dog or my own dog

Hi guys, does anyone know how to go about getting assistant dog for autism? 

I struggle being independent and going outside and think a dog would really help that. Do I have to get a dog from a charity or can I train my own dog and that legally be my assistant dog and be allowed everywhere with me. 

This is all very new to me, but I think a dog would really help my quality of life, so thought I’d see if anyone else here knows anything etc Blush 

Thanks 

Parents
  • Depending on your needs, you might need a fully trained assistance dog, which would need to be from a proper training scheme. If you need a dog to be more of an emotional support animal, you could do any relevant training at home, but do bear in mind that an ESA isn't necessarily allowed to go everywhere with you like an official assistance dog is.

I'm a dog owner myself and my dog doesn't have any training like this, but I've found that he's a big help anyway- his personality is well suited to living with an autistic person and I get outside every day now because he needs his walks.

• Depending on your needs, you might need a fully trained assistance dog, which would need to be from a proper training scheme. If you need a dog to be more of an emotional support animal, you could do any relevant training at home, but do bear in mind that an ESA isn't necessarily allowed to go everywhere with you like an official assistance dog is.

I'm a dog owner myself and my dog doesn't have any training like this, but I've found that he's a big help anyway- his personality is well suited to living with an autistic person and I get outside every day now because he needs his walks.

Children
No Data