Wanting to make a difference

Hello everyone,

I am new to the forms but have known about NAS my whole life. 

My question I hope someone might be able to help me with is about fair rights for autistic individuals.

I currently am waiting advocacy for myself for mental health services - a long story. However it led me to become angry and upset at how mental health services have been treating me due to my autism. So I want to use this to become an advocate for other individuals with autism. So I can fight for our rights and raise awareness of the discrimination we face in our lives.

I'm not a confident person at all, but I despise seeing people being discriminated against in all matters of things. So I would like to become an autistic ambassador but don't know how do this or get started. NAS has ambassadors I will give them a message after this, but wondered if you all thought this would be a good idea?

I am always looking out for other people, and have so much patience. I want to make sure that we as a community are being respected and listened to. As I say, I'm not a confident person, but I have much courage and confidence when it comes to getting justice and support for others.

If anyone has any ideas or suggestions, I'd love to hear them!

Thank you for reading! Blush

Parents
  • From my own experience of trying to make a thing of being an advocate, the main thing I will say is to be sure that you're prepared for it. It's not worth it if your own mental health deteriorates because of it.

My problem was the fact I put myself on a pedestal where I felt like I was expected to be a support/representative for the entire autistic community, and ultimately it ended up feeling isolating and just not for me.

This isn't meant to put you off, it's more a means of raising a few questions as to whether you feel this is the right route to go down. If so, by all means, go for it.

Maybe an option to begin with is writing about it? There's autistic/neurodivergent-led websites who will take submissions from people.

• That is very good advice, thank you! I totally get what you mean, about feeling responsible for other people. Writing articles is a brilliant way of me contributing whilst also preserving my energy for my own mental health.

Thank you! Grinning

• That is very good advice, thank you! I totally get what you mean, about feeling responsible for other people. Writing articles is a brilliant way of me contributing whilst also preserving my energy for my own mental health.

If you are interested in blogging or writing for autistic led organisations, I can give you some advice as I have just started doing this!

I have written my first blog for autistic led training organisation Neurodiverse Connections, there is a specific section of their website for blogs by autistic/other multiply neurodivergent people.

Here is the link to their blogging page:

https://ndconnection.co.uk/blog

Here is the link to their general website:

https://ndconnection.co.uk/

You could always get in contact with this organisation if you feel passionately about your autistic community! I hope this helps/interests you!

I contacted them via the contact form on the website and they just asked me to think of some topics I would like to write about and then I sent them a draft of my blog.

Good luck with this potential new venture of yours!

If you are interested in blogging or writing for autistic led organisations, I can give you some advice as I have just started doing this!

I have written my first blog for autistic led training organisation Neurodiverse Connections, there is a specific section of their website for blogs by autistic/other multiply neurodivergent people.

Here is the link to their blogging page:

https://ndconnection.co.uk/blog

Here is the link to their general website:

https://ndconnection.co.uk/

You could always get in contact with this organisation if you feel passionately about your autistic community! I hope this helps/interests you!

I contacted them via the contact form on the website and they just asked me to think of some topics I would like to write about and then I sent them a draft of my blog.

Good luck with this potential new venture of yours!

Children
No Data