YouTube video - “it’s just a five minute walk”

I found this video last night and I empathised and identified with the girl in it so much. This is so much more effective in communicating what it’s like to be autistic than all the influencers making videos.

https://youtu.be/cTzUbe5hoI8?feature=shared

What do you think? Do you identify with this?

• Thanks. I might suggest to our work “neurodiversity champion” that it would be worth circulating these.

I’ve tried explaining my challenges to some of my colleagues but I’m sure they think I’m making it up. A video demonstration might be more effective than just explaining it.

I had to go to my local shopping mall at lunchtime to collect a prescription. It was so noisy and busy and so unpleasant but I don’t think people are aware of or understanding our sensory difficulties at all. They’re never shown in mainstream film or TV.

• Yes I identified with this so much too.

The other girl said that she wanted to be alone. Why do people say things they don't mean? I'll never understand.

I definitely related when she took off her headphones in the street. The noise of music can become intolerable once overload sets in. There is also an internal amplification of my heart pounding and blood rushing, which can make headphones intolerable in those situations. 

Then the shock of arriving home to find the house wasn't empty as she expected is certainly enough to trigger a meltdown or shutdown. Anything unexpected like that really gets me and it can take days to recover.

I find it interesting that she had such a reaction to the noise of the birds chirping in the hedge. That is one sound I love and I don't care how loud they are. Dogs barking on the other hand... Scream instant sensory overload.

These kind of 'live experience' type videos do get the message across very effectively. NAS have produced quite a few in the past,  a couple of them I have bookmarked.

The first one is quite dated now but still really relevant, showing a bus journey from the perspective of an autistic person and how every sound can be overwhelming. The second one also starts with a bus journey and  illustrates well how every small interaction can build to the point of overload.