Non Autism diagnosis

Hi folks,

Having a lot of problems during my life from being a child with being unable to mix socially and having terrible anxiety I decided at the an advanced age to ask to be referred for an autism assessment. 

I was given the same test as I believe a lot of others have gone through, book with flying frogs, asked to create a story etc 

I also filled in the quiz's as well, and was told they were borderline as regards the spectrum.

Anyway it seems I flew through the test with the flying frogs book and was told that it was a multi-disciplinary assessment and I was told I didn't have autism.

To be honest I was relieved about this, but at the same time concerned that these particular tests might not accurately be the right criteria to determine whether a person has autism or not for the following reasons.

1 I do believe that a good number of people if picked from a random number of people off the street might not have the creative ability to construct a story from these tests, and it could well be because of that would be diagnosed with autism, where in fact they are not on the spectrum.

2 Are autism people somehow not allowed to be creative?

3 from the age perspective even people with autism can develop a coping strategy as they get a lot older ( I certainly have) and because of this the tests might not accurately diagnose the condition.

I would appreciate your thoughts on the above.

Many thanks.

Parents
  • Presumably the decision also took into account numerous questionnaires, how you interacted with the assessors and perhaps interviews with people who know you?

My assessment report noted a few things about the ADOS test:

• I fidgeted throughout 
    • I didn’t make much eye contact with the assessor 
    • when items were placed in front of me for the tasks I focussed fully on them and didn’t look at the assessor at all
    • for the frogs thing I gave a very factual description of each page, didn’t say anything about the emotional state of the things/people and and throughout had a completely flat affect, both face and voice
    • for the thing where you have to make up a story I just completely messed that up
    • my response to the map part of the test was also very unusual apparently but I won’t elaborate so as not to give anyone ideas 
  • Very similar to all of that.  I had a different book to the frog one, but the comment was that I talked about the characters thoughts but not their feelings or emotions.

Likewise with the story I made up from objects that they thought was creative/imaginative but didn't go into thoughts and feelings, I seem to remember veering off into talking about Keith Haring as one of the objects was a Haring coaster so my objects had gone to an art gallery....  Strong imagination and creativity skills are listed on my report as a strength.

There are defo things in the assessment that could be improved for people of different ages or women and people we know are being under-diagnosed.

• It’s definitely a weird experience and from what I’ve seen online some people are quite offended by it because they think it’s designed for children. But I think it revealed what they needed to know about me.

• I had also seen comments from people saying that they felt demeaned or offended by the seemingly child-like nature of the ADOS tests which did make me a little apprehensive.

However, I went into the assessment with an open mind and actually enjoyed the ADOS bit. Not sure if I would have reacted differently if I didn't have any idea of what was likely to be asked of me to do.

• I had also seen comments from people saying that they felt demeaned or offended by the seemingly child-like nature of the ADOS tests which did make me a little apprehensive.

However, I went into the assessment with an open mind and actually enjoyed the ADOS bit. Not sure if I would have reacted differently if I didn't have any idea of what was likely to be asked of me to do.

Children
No Data