Referral Rejected

I recently went to my GP and they put in a referral for an adult autism assessment. The referral was rejected. Stating insufficient information. Needing more information of significant clinical impact in childhood and adulthood. They suggested neurodiversity, which isn't really meaningful on its own?

I can try and give them more information. But now it feels like I'd be trying to tick boxes. But I feel like a fraud relating to autism and trying to access resources without a formal diagnosis. and find it exhausting having to detail all these things that are just who I am.

I have a CAT Q score of 116.

AQ of 36.

RAADS of 122.

Do I persue this further?

Parents
  • Last year I spoke with my GP about my mental health and that I though that there was a chance that I am autistic.

My GP emailed me a self referral form and told me that I should complete it myself - no assistance was offered, so I left it as I was (and still am) dealing with a lot of health issues and didn't have the time or the energy to complete the form on my own.

I then had some involvements with the local mental health hospital and the subject of an autism assessment came up. I was supposed to have been helped / guided by a mental health person to complete the form together. It seemed as if it was the first time that the support person had seen the form and wasn't of any help whatsoever. Still, we filled in the form which was then rejected by the hospital's ASD team.

A few months later (and more mental health issues), I was assigned a different support person who was great. We went through the form again and this time it was accepted.

To the OP - it may be worthwhile reaching out to your local mental health services to see if they can assist with understanding the questions and answering them appropriately. Looking back, I think that I had answered the questions is a kind of masking way and that is why it was rejected.

I hope that helps.

• Last year I spoke with my GP about my mental health and that I though that there was a chance that I am autistic.

My GP emailed me a self referral form and told me that I should complete it myself - no assistance was offered, so I left it as I was (and still am) dealing with a lot of health issues and didn't have the time or the energy to complete the form on my own.

I then had some involvements with the local mental health hospital and the subject of an autism assessment came up. I was supposed to have been helped / guided by a mental health person to complete the form together. It seemed as if it was the first time that the support person had seen the form and wasn't of any help whatsoever. Still, we filled in the form which was then rejected by the hospital's ASD team.

A few months later (and more mental health issues), I was assigned a different support person who was great. We went through the form again and this time it was accepted.

To the OP - it may be worthwhile reaching out to your local mental health services to see if they can assist with understanding the questions and answering them appropriately. Looking back, I think that I had answered the questions is a kind of masking way and that is why it was rejected.

I hope that helps.

Children
No Data