Unmasking

I’m reading Pete Wharmby’s book and came across this:

“An interesting phenomenon that many late-diagnosed autistic people report is that straight after their diagnosis, their relationships with their family, friends and especially work colleagues start to break down a little”

I have noticed this. Every single person I was remotely friendly with at work has distanced themselves from me since my diagnosis and I’ve been wondering why, as I haven’t deliberately on consciously unmasked.

Have any of you experienced this?

Parents
  • Every single person I was remotely friendly with at work has distanced themselves from me since my diagnosis and I’ve been wondering why

As sloan says, if you told them then they may see you as "disabled" and keep their distance now - it is a poor reflection on them if this is the case.

You are also more aware of your autism and I suspect your behaviour is already changing as you drop a few habits you realise are obviously stimming, scripting or masking.

• Every single person I was remotely friendly with at work has distanced themselves from me since my diagnosis and I’ve been wondering why

As sloan says, if you told them then they may see you as "disabled" and keep their distance now - it is a poor reflection on them if this is the case.

You are also more aware of your autism and I suspect your behaviour is already changing as you drop a few habits you realise are obviously stimming, scripting or masking.

Children
No Data