Autism and divorce

Hi everyone, I’ve just joined.

I need some advice please regarding divorce and the finances. Ex husband owns house and we have been married for 25 years. We have a 24 year old son who has autism. Ex was arrested for controlling and coercive behaviour last year. Ex has been abusive both mentally and physically to both of us.

Is a 50/50 split fair or should ex provide more due to our son living at home with me?

Thanks

Parents
  • Is a 50/50 split fair or should ex provide more due to our son living at home with me?

You need a divorce lawyer to give good practical advice on this and to squeeze as much out of your ex as the law allows.

As your son is an adult I imagine the amount your ex has to contribute is going to be small, even if your son has high dependancy needs. The lawyer will be able to tell you what the likely outcome of this will be though.

Sorry to deflect but we are far from experts in this field and are likely to be biassed towards the autistic person in the equation.

One thing to consider is that since autism if highly likely to be inherited, could you or your ex be autistic yourselves? If your ex is able to get a positive diagnosis them it may actually help his case as he would be classed as disabled himself. Something to make sure your lawyer considers so he can educate himself in case it is presented last minute in court.

Good luck in winning a positive outcome for you both.

• Is a 50/50 split fair or should ex provide more due to our son living at home with me?

You need a divorce lawyer to give good practical advice on this and to squeeze as much out of your ex as the law allows.

As your son is an adult I imagine the amount your ex has to contribute is going to be small, even if your son has high dependancy needs. The lawyer will be able to tell you what the likely outcome of this will be though.

Sorry to deflect but we are far from experts in this field and are likely to be biassed towards the autistic person in the equation.

One thing to consider is that since autism if highly likely to be inherited, could you or your ex be autistic yourselves? If your ex is able to get a positive diagnosis them it may actually help his case as he would be classed as disabled himself. Something to make sure your lawyer considers so he can educate himself in case it is presented last minute in court.

Good luck in winning a positive outcome for you both.

Children
No Data