Do you know when burnout is imminent?

This is the first year where I really feel I can recognise a few signs of burnout before being actually ‘in’ it. I know it’s not far off. At least I think so anyway. 

For me, I feel like I become a little less articulate, seemingly simple tasks become pretty much impossible (an instance at work basically confirmed this today), inertia really sets in (I owe thanks to everyone who helped me learn more about this in a recent post), I tend to lose a bit of social fluency (I think I miss points of etiquette more often than usual) and I become very clumsy.

All of this is happening right now. It’s interesting to sort of sit back and observe it a little before it properly happens this time around. 

Do you know your warning signs? Hopefully this isn’t a rude question. Genuinely curious.

Parents
  • I get similar burnout signs as you described: increased issues with inertia, I get more verbally blunt, it sounds like a "curt" angry tone but really I'm just tired and my brain is sick of trying to find the nice words or pretty longer phrases as I get closer to going nonverbal. Also everything feels like so much work because the fatigue sets in.

I seem to have traded off length of burnouts for intensity though. I become absolutely good for nothing once past the point of no return and end up needing abt 3 days to just exist on powersaving mode: eat, sleep, poop, stare at the walls, that's it.

• I get similar burnout signs as you described: increased issues with inertia, I get more verbally blunt, it sounds like a "curt" angry tone but really I'm just tired and my brain is sick of trying to find the nice words or pretty longer phrases as I get closer to going nonverbal. Also everything feels like so much work because the fatigue sets in.

I seem to have traded off length of burnouts for intensity though. I become absolutely good for nothing once past the point of no return and end up needing abt 3 days to just exist on powersaving mode: eat, sleep, poop, stare at the walls, that's it.

Children