Mental health worker job interview!

So I have a an interview for a job I applied for a couple for a couple of weeks ago. I'm really pleased as I've been job hunting for a while and never managed to bag an interview so this feels like real progress.

Anyway it is a job for a mental health and wellbeing peer support worker. This is quite the career pivot for me as I currently work in a lab that manufactures blood grouping reagents and have a very scientific background. It's fair to say this interview will be quite different to ones i've experienced before as I've never applied for this sort of role before.

Does anyone have any experience in a mental health support role or similar and can offer advice on the interview? I really don't want to muck this up. 

Take care,

Euan

Parents
  • I have done a variety of jobs which include mental health support work… so feel free to ask anything. 

interview wise id say don’t put too much pressure on yourself. They can be intimidating things. Make sure you’ve researched the job prior. Lots of interviews in that field are scenario based questions things like… talk about a time where you have solved a problem or dealt with conflict. I always like to think of a variety of scenarios before an interview that I could apply to various skills/situations like empathy, inclusion, diversity, equality etc.

id also like to add.. do not be put off with the negative comment of what qualities autistic people lack. Everyone is different and everyone has different experiences and qualities. Think of what positives skills and qualities your autism brings to the role.

well done for getting an interview and best of luck with it! Be really proud of yourself for getting shortlisted for an interview :) 

• I have done a variety of jobs which include mental health support work… so feel free to ask anything. 

interview wise id say don’t put too much pressure on yourself. They can be intimidating things. Make sure you’ve researched the job prior. Lots of interviews in that field are scenario based questions things like… talk about a time where you have solved a problem or dealt with conflict. I always like to think of a variety of scenarios before an interview that I could apply to various skills/situations like empathy, inclusion, diversity, equality etc.

id also like to add.. do not be put off with the negative comment of what qualities autistic people lack. Everyone is different and everyone has different experiences and qualities. Think of what positives skills and qualities your autism brings to the role.

well done for getting an interview and best of luck with it! Be really proud of yourself for getting shortlisted for an interview :) 

Children
No Data