Will Australia deny me entry because I'm autistic?

Context - I want to study abroad in Australia for a semester. I have a NHS diagnosis of ASD and have low support needs (I have a mentor and reasonable adjustments at uni) (mentor is not government funded, it's provided with my university and I would not have a mentor in Australia) . I don't have any other health problems and don't take any medications.

Has anyone here studied abroad in Australia before and did you have any problems with a visa because of autism?

I was reading online about people getting denied entry for having an autistic child ... But when it comes to the visa forms etc there's no way I'd ever disclose to any government I'm autistic anyway so maybe I'd be fine. I never disclose autism for travel insurance for example because I don't need to.

Thoughts?

Parents
  • when it comes to the visa forms etc there's no way I'd ever disclose to any government I'm autistic anyway

If you have a registered disability and fail to disclose it and they find out - they will kick you out. Even if it is not a big issue for you to be autistic, you would have lied on an official visa request and that would give you a criminal record and permanent barring from the country.

I was reading online about people getting denied entry for having an autistic child ..

I think that is more because of the support overhead for bringing in an autistic child - this will place more of a load on their educational system so is undesirable from a purely practical point of view.

I would recomend honesty in the application as the consequences are quite severe when it comes to visas.

• when it comes to the visa forms etc there's no way I'd ever disclose to any government I'm autistic anyway

If you have a registered disability and fail to disclose it and they find out - they will kick you out. Even if it is not a big issue for you to be autistic, you would have lied on an official visa request and that would give you a criminal record and permanent barring from the country.

I was reading online about people getting denied entry for having an autistic child ..

I think that is more because of the support overhead for bringing in an autistic child - this will place more of a load on their educational system so is undesirable from a purely practical point of view.

I would recomend honesty in the application as the consequences are quite severe when it comes to visas.

Children
No Data