Shutdowns

Hi I’ve just been in an extremely difficult situation. I’m a 52 autistic lady and was admitted to hospital with stroke like symptoms including a non epileptic seizure. Scans were normal so saw neurologist today who basically said I was making it up. A friend by this time had discovered stroke like symptoms can occur as part of an autistic shutdown but when I mentioned to neurologist he was extremely dismissive said it can’t possibly be caused by autism and shutdowns don’t happen either. I get them a lot which sometimes leaves me non verbal which can last days. I live alone and have no help or support. I really need to get these symptoms recognised as soon as possible so doctors and other healthcare professionals can understand and how to help. Paramedics are also very dismissive of shutdowns when they were called to me when I fainted and when I came round I was non verbal. They insisted I hadn’t really fainted it and being non verbal was just bad behaviour.

I don’t know what to do or where to turn. Any advice and how I can get it sorted on my medical records and it recognised. Feeling very vulnerable, lonely and scared.

Parents Reply Children
No Data