Struggling

I only got my diagnosis a few months ago and I’m struggling so much. I’m questioning everything, especially work, I feel like I'm in the wrong job completely and I can’t keep up with the demands of life in general. I also feel completely hopeless and I’m struggling to see a future as I can’t see myself making meaningful connections with anyone so what future do I have? Sorry to be so down but I am really struggling with what to do now that I know that this is the situation forever and there’s no cure for it. 

• Hi,

I’m in exactly the same position as you. Diagnosed a few months ago, questioning everything, struggling with everything.

But I am hopeful that with a better understanding of the root of my problems I might be able to at least improve my situation a bit, even if that means walking away from my job. I’m also told that joining autistic community events is a good idea, as I’m more likely to be able to connect with them than with neurotypicals.

i remain sceptical and hope is in short supply, but there is some hope and we should cling to that. It will take a long time to fully process the diagnoses and what it means for us.

But i really do hear you. It’s such a difficult life.

• Hello NAS88765

I'm sorry that you feel hopeless after receiving your diagnosis. The NAS website has a page called 'Post-diagnosis Support' which might bring you some help. Here is the link: https://www.autism.org.uk/advice-and-guidance/topics/diagnosis/post-diagnosis-support/autistic-adults

All the best,

Karin Mod