Text etiquette

I used to be worse with this, but it's interesting how sending follow-up emails is a generally more accepted activity than follow-up texts.

Okay, they are extremely different and come with different levels of expectation, but I think it was always difficult for me to read whether it's acceptable or not.

I don't always know if someone has genuinely forgotten to reply, or they really don't want to. I did used to message quite repeatedly and within a short space of time which I wouldn't do now. 

There has been a few cases where, through not responding, the other person didn't feel like they wanted to be friends anymore and it took me raising it. But I think that's more down to something lacking between us two where the other person didn't feel comfortable speaking up.

It's difficult when you really do need a response because you're planning something and you need to buy tickets or whatever so it's a tricky balance.

Parents
  • If it’s a reply left on here, then I try to answer it. It really depends on how much energy I have. Normal text messages, I’m terrible at replying to, it can be 4 minutes or 4 months, it seems if I don’t answer it reasonably quickly,  then it’s most probably never going to happen. If someone repeatedly texts me, then each text just builds another brick on the wall in front of me.

• If it’s a reply left on here, then I try to answer it. It really depends on how much energy I have. Normal text messages, I’m terrible at replying to, it can be 4 minutes or 4 months, it seems if I don’t answer it reasonably quickly,  then it’s most probably never going to happen. If someone repeatedly texts me, then each text just builds another brick on the wall in front of me.

Children
No Data