Autistic “influencers”

When it was first suggested to me that I might be autistic I began watching various autistic influencers on YouTube and read books by similar people.

But one glaring thing stuck out for me, and I’ve just come across another example. Specifically, these influencers without exception seem to be married, be in a relationship, have children.

And yet for me the single most life-ruining aspect of my condition is my utter inability to form relationships. It’s like everyone else has telepathy and I don’t. I thought this was one of the defining characteristics of autism.

So are these high profile authors and videographers representative of autistic people or am I the sad exception?

Parents
  • I think that autistic women find that starting a relationship, at least, is easier for them than it is for autistic men, because it is socially expected that men will take a more active role in initiating 'romance'. This does not mean that female autists do not have problems, for example they are more prone to become involved in abusive relationships than their neurotypical peers. I'm autistic and have been married for 27 years and have two talented, neurodivergent, children. I found it impossible to form romantic connections for many years. I was undiagnosed but recognised, eventually, that I had a number of problems. I had difficulty in recognising when a woman found me attractive, though I sometimes recognised it when it was far too late. I was also - probably because I could not recognise non-verbal signalling - very inhibited from making my interest in anyone obvious, for fear of rejection. I think that I also appeared emotionally unavailable. I eventually solved this by researching non-verbal communication, so I had at least an intellectual grasp of it, and, by an effort of will, making myself socially brave, so that I took risks in approaching women I found attractive and possibly being rejected. I was so successful, that at the beginning of my relationship with my future wife, she said that I was amazingly emotionally open.

• I totally get why you wrote it this way because there is a presentation that is more common to women where there is typically more social skills even if they are more academic and learnt than innate, but that doesn't mean that autistic men with relationships are not big on the internet, one of the autistic youtubers I follow is Orion Kelly and he actually did some interesting vids on having a neurodiverse relatuonship with his NT wife starting with this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTJrSfYOZ04 . So I thought I'd just share it incase it's of interest to any of the guys here.

Reply Children
No Data