Does driving overstimulate you?

Hi all, 

Just wondering about peoples thoughts on this! 

I've been finding that driving can often be a bit overstimulating for me. I overall enjoy it, the freedom it gives me is second to none, plus its a good place to scream at my loudest when I need to because no one can hear on the motorway. But i've found that just sheer volume of visual information is sometimes a bit much. Especially when it comes to the constant things ongoing in the mirrors that I can sometimes get distracted by when i need to focus on what's in front of me. This is especially during the dark, headlights in mirrors etc are so distracting and uncomfortable for me. 

Obviously driving for long times is tiring for anyone, but even my normal commute home (35-45mins) at the end of the day really just takes out what little energy I have left after work. Any one else feel like this? 

Thanks,

Euan.

Parents
  • i've found that just sheer volume of visual information is sometimes a bit much

I don't know how anyone can drive using a sat nav, I struggle with this even as a passenger.  I think using these is a requirement now in order to pass your test. 

• Yes my instructor said it has to be on. I find them distracting

And after it being silent for a while it makes me jump when it suddenly speaks.

• It's also "the same information served in different formats at the same time" that I find too much. My partner's car displays the temperature pop up on the screen when it is changed on the dial. No need! The dial already displays the temperature.  He also has about 500 things on his dash display too. The sat nav screen repeats information in different ways on different parts of the screen.

• It's also "the same information served in different formats at the same time" that I find too much. My partner's car displays the temperature pop up on the screen when it is changed on the dial. No need! The dial already displays the temperature.  He also has about 500 things on his dash display too. The sat nav screen repeats information in different ways on different parts of the screen.

Children