Does driving overstimulate you?

Hi all, 

Just wondering about peoples thoughts on this! 

I've been finding that driving can often be a bit overstimulating for me. I overall enjoy it, the freedom it gives me is second to none, plus its a good place to scream at my loudest when I need to because no one can hear on the motorway. But i've found that just sheer volume of visual information is sometimes a bit much. Especially when it comes to the constant things ongoing in the mirrors that I can sometimes get distracted by when i need to focus on what's in front of me. This is especially during the dark, headlights in mirrors etc are so distracting and uncomfortable for me. 

Obviously driving for long times is tiring for anyone, but even my normal commute home (35-45mins) at the end of the day really just takes out what little energy I have left after work. Any one else feel like this? 

Thanks,

Euan.

Parents
  • I enjoy driving and drive a classic land Rover with an overdrive so you need two pairs of arms at times. I too, find modern car headlights too bright and loath people not applying the handbrake and relying on the brakes and blinding me with the brake lights. I also find roundabouts confusing with knowing which lane to be in. if only people were more considerate. I do have a slow vehicle warning sign and this does help.

I am looking forward to a trip to North Wales soon but will plan the route and take breaks.    

• Your Landy sounds epic! Have you owned it long? I had a great Defender 90 pick up, nice diesel but it's one of my many to do projects parked next to the SD1 Rolling eyes Neutral face but I AM determined to do the Defender at some point. It's in no way rotten and was in every day use but it's been parked up now for about 4 years.

I am looking forward to a trip to North Wales soon but will plan the route and take breaks

I hope you enjoy your trip! Smiley Good idea planning. I always plan well in advance of taking a long trip, always make sure I do the trye pressure, take spare oil, water, everything I might need. Will you be taking your Landrover? I'm hoping to go to Scotland soon and I'll be taking my Senator, if I can get the right boot spoiler for it.

• Hello,

I have owned Lucy for thirteen years now. I check all the fluid levels frequently and carry oil and spares. I am taking Lucy to have some much needed welding repairs as I cannot weld.

Your SD1 project sounds fun as I remember them well.  

• Hello,

that is a very kind offer but sadly I live in the Midlands. I agree, the SD1 was amazing especially the V8 model. She was called Lucy long before I rescued her from a local field.

Reply Children
No Data