Does driving overstimulate you?

Hi all, 

Just wondering about peoples thoughts on this! 

I've been finding that driving can often be a bit overstimulating for me. I overall enjoy it, the freedom it gives me is second to none, plus its a good place to scream at my loudest when I need to because no one can hear on the motorway. But i've found that just sheer volume of visual information is sometimes a bit much. Especially when it comes to the constant things ongoing in the mirrors that I can sometimes get distracted by when i need to focus on what's in front of me. This is especially during the dark, headlights in mirrors etc are so distracting and uncomfortable for me. 

Obviously driving for long times is tiring for anyone, but even my normal commute home (35-45mins) at the end of the day really just takes out what little energy I have left after work. Any one else feel like this? 

Thanks,

Euan.

Parents
  • Actually no, I really like driving and motorcycle riding, I have a full license for both, to the point that I'm wondering if I should just gradually take lessons tests for more and more vehicle types just so I can have the experience of driving a wide variety that most people just don't.
    I find that my energy and focus for it is about the same max as for most tasks that I like, if I don't take a break then my max focus on any one thing is about 2 and a half hours, maybe just 2 hours if I start getting thirsty or hungry half way through. That might not seem like a lot but that's the same approx max time on any single activity I have as anything else, even other stuff I really enjoy doing, like I can't watch movies no matter how enjoyable for too long either. Might be an AuDHD thing. But if I feel myself getting tired or dropping focus I will just pull over and give myself a while to hit the reset button before going again because I'm pretty self aware like that. I have wondered if I were to take ADHD medication would it increase the length of time I could spend on individual stuff but I am pretty sure I also rely on my ADHD in the car in a way so that I don't get too hung up on individual details and can keep looking up the road scanning for the next hazard, I wouldn't want to get mind-stuck on say a bit of deer "road-pizza" and not see the car emerging at the next junction 50 yards up the road.

• Actually no, I really like driving and motorcycle riding, I have a full license for both, to the point that I'm wondering if I should just gradually take lessons tests for more and more vehicle types just so I can have the experience of driving a wide variety that most people just don't.
    I find that my energy and focus for it is about the same max as for most tasks that I like, if I don't take a break then my max focus on any one thing is about 2 and a half hours, maybe just 2 hours if I start getting thirsty or hungry half way through. That might not seem like a lot but that's the same approx max time on any single activity I have as anything else, even other stuff I really enjoy doing, like I can't watch movies no matter how enjoyable for too long either. Might be an AuDHD thing. But if I feel myself getting tired or dropping focus I will just pull over and give myself a while to hit the reset button before going again because I'm pretty self aware like that. I have wondered if I were to take ADHD medication would it increase the length of time I could spend on individual stuff but I am pretty sure I also rely on my ADHD in the car in a way so that I don't get too hung up on individual details and can keep looking up the road scanning for the next hazard, I wouldn't want to get mind-stuck on say a bit of deer "road-pizza" and not see the car emerging at the next junction 50 yards up the road.

Children
No Data