Favourite School Subject.

For me it has always been History, it’s just always, ‘ lit my fuse’, I get absorbed into it. Any era or event is just interesting. I had some good teachers at school who made a difference. My maths teacher, was brilliant, but history has always won. What became your lifetime subject and that one teacher who made a difference.

Parents
  • I just want to make the harsh point that one's favourite subject does not necessarily mean it's your best subject or that you're any good at it.

I was recently watching a TV program where a student was told by her tutor that she should drop her favourite subject at university because she was out of her depth and was failing it.  He told her to her face that she may have been top of her class at her old school but here she was struggling to even pass.

• I just want to make the harsh point that one's favourite subject does not necessarily mean it's your best subject or that you're any good at it.

I was recently watching a TV program where a student was told by her tutor that she should drop her favourite subject at university because she was out of her depth and was failing it.  He told her to her face that she may have been top of her class at her old school but here she was struggling to even pass.

Children
  • For most people they usually go together, however. I got A grades in Biology and Eng. lit., but a C in History, because, while I loved political history, I found economic and social history as dull as ditchwater.

I suspect that the correlation between interest in a subject and success in it may be more emphatic in autistic people, than in neurotypicals. I knew someone at university who got 9 grade As at O level. He didn't find all the subjects interesting, but just worked hard at soaking up the information for all of them. In contrast I got A grades in the subjects that interested me, but Cs (and one D fail) in the subjects I had no interest in. I soaked up information like a sponge when I liked a subject (special interest anyone?), but could not really concentrate on subjects that bored me.