Noise?

The kids playing out around here can't do so without making the most hideous din, it's one long continuous stream of shouting, screeching (literally) and grunting like gorillas. I'm not talking toddlers either, anything up to like fourteen or more??

Yesterday I hear another noise added to it, turns out one of these kids has acquired a WHISTLE! (god help us) It was constant for hours last night and again this morning. My head is mashed. It's been like getting tasered in the head. Defo need to get my headphones on.

When I was a kid, that kind of racket was totally off-limits, you'd have got a hiding. I was pretty much silent anyway, I don't understand why kids now seem to have no restraint whatsoever...

Parents
  • I do find some pitches of noise intolerable, I have tinnitus so the higher range can feel like putting a knitting needle in my ears. I was in a Supermarket last night and a young girl was doing the high pitched scream and properly going into one, I thought actually I shouldn’t judge, maybe a young autistic person, mum finally said, “ okay you can have the chocolate,” immediately the behaviour stopped and my suspicions of autism stopped as well. The reward wouldn’t stop a meltdown, it was a tantrum or manipulating behaviour.

• I do find some pitches of noise intolerable, I have tinnitus so the higher range can feel like putting a knitting needle in my ears. I was in a Supermarket last night and a young girl was doing the high pitched scream and properly going into one, I thought actually I shouldn’t judge, maybe a young autistic person, mum finally said, “ okay you can have the chocolate,” immediately the behaviour stopped and my suspicions of autism stopped as well. The reward wouldn’t stop a meltdown, it was a tantrum or manipulating behaviour.

Children
  • My uncle had tinnitus for years, it really made everything in life so much harder, he could never really tell what anyone was saying other than my auntie, she had to be kind of an interpreter, somehow he was used to her voice. Very isolating as with any hearing problems. I feel for you.   It's hard enough dealing with external noises.