Autism Assessment

Hi, all 

Has anyone had a particularly confusing autism assessment that has left them more confused? 

It has taken me nearly 5 years to get assessed, in which time I've thought about my personal traits and behaviors and how I compensate and mask certain things.

I suspect it is hard to tell in my case, because I think I am probably pretty good at not putting myself in situations I don't like etc...

The assessor was having a tough time, because I don't "present as autistic", but I suspect this person might not be trained in masking. I'm not sure I need to trust what they say.

That was the first step, apparently I have to speak to someone else.

I'm wondering if I should go private or give up, I'm quite happy.

Hope all are well.

Parents
  • Hi,

My assessment involved a number of appointments with two separate assessors. Apparently they both need to agree for an autism diagnosis to be given. Perhaps that’s why you need to speak to someone else.

They also told me to try not to mask during the assessments. I’m not sure how to do that.

I had to wait a few weeks after the last appointment before I got my result and and I honestly thought it was going to be a negative right up to the point where they gave me the diagnosis.

Try not to worry and trust in the system, such as it is.

• Hi,

My assessment involved a number of appointments with two separate assessors. Apparently they both need to agree for an autism diagnosis to be given. Perhaps that’s why you need to speak to someone else.

They also told me to try not to mask during the assessments. I’m not sure how to do that.

I had to wait a few weeks after the last appointment before I got my result and and I honestly thought it was going to be a negative right up to the point where they gave me the diagnosis.

Try not to worry and trust in the system, such as it is.

Children
No Data