Autism Assessment

Hi, all 

Has anyone had a particularly confusing autism assessment that has left them more confused? 

It has taken me nearly 5 years to get assessed, in which time I've thought about my personal traits and behaviors and how I compensate and mask certain things.

I suspect it is hard to tell in my case, because I think I am probably pretty good at not putting myself in situations I don't like etc...

The assessor was having a tough time, because I don't "present as autistic", but I suspect this person might not be trained in masking. I'm not sure I need to trust what they say.

That was the first step, apparently I have to speak to someone else.

I'm wondering if I should go private or give up, I'm quite happy.

Hope all are well.

Parents
  • Hi there, 

I'm not sure where you are geographically or what system you're in but I would assume the NHS. 

For me I approached my GP - they sent me a form to fill in (I guess like an initial screener) then after I 'passed' that they referred me onto the local team. They were very slow, so I contacted the GP again and asked for 'right to choose' - this triggered my referral to be sent to a private assessor. They contacted me a few months later to arrange a video call. 

The video call lasted about 1hr 20 mins and they diagnosed me during that call. They followed up about 3 weeks later with a written assessment sent to me and my GP. 

Hope this helps. 

• Hey Autumn.

Ive been waiting 2 years and now considering private route. Which is why I’ve come on here to see the best way to move forward with this.

Never heard of right to choose before! so this was done bey talking to your GP and they refer you to a private clinic? 

Wasn’t sure whether to just Google places near me and contact them direct. 

• Hey Autumn.

Ive been waiting 2 years and now considering private route. Which is why I’ve come on here to see the best way to move forward with this.

Never heard of right to choose before! so this was done bey talking to your GP and they refer you to a private clinic? 

Wasn’t sure whether to just Google places near me and contact them direct. 

Children
No Data