Autism Assessment

Hi, all 

Has anyone had a particularly confusing autism assessment that has left them more confused? 

It has taken me nearly 5 years to get assessed, in which time I've thought about my personal traits and behaviors and how I compensate and mask certain things.

I suspect it is hard to tell in my case, because I think I am probably pretty good at not putting myself in situations I don't like etc...

The assessor was having a tough time, because I don't "present as autistic", but I suspect this person might not be trained in masking. I'm not sure I need to trust what they say.

That was the first step, apparently I have to speak to someone else.

I'm wondering if I should go private or give up, I'm quite happy.

Hope all are well.

Parents
  • Hi there, 

I'm not sure where you are geographically or what system you're in but I would assume the NHS. 

For me I approached my GP - they sent me a form to fill in (I guess like an initial screener) then after I 'passed' that they referred me onto the local team. They were very slow, so I contacted the GP again and asked for 'right to choose' - this triggered my referral to be sent to a private assessor. They contacted me a few months later to arrange a video call. 

The video call lasted about 1hr 20 mins and they diagnosed me during that call. They followed up about 3 weeks later with a written assessment sent to me and my GP. 

Hope this helps. 

• That's really helpful. I didn't know about 'right to choose', I felt like the conversation I had wasn't keeping tabs with current research so I'll speak to my GP. Thanks

Reply Children
No Data