SEN in mainstream school

Hi! 

it’s my first time posting on here… 

I am a mum of a 5 year old boy with autism. He started primary school in September. we had lots of communication with the school before he attended, as did his nursery to make the school aware of his needs and the importance of him needing 1:1 care throughout the day. 

because of his needs, we started the EHCP application before starting school which the they were  happy with. 

this week we received our letter to say that my son would be receiving an EHCP and the school would be getting funding, as soon as the school got this through, their SENCO asked to have a meeting with us. 

i was unable to attend (due to illness) but my partner went to the meeting where they basically said they are unable to meet his needs and don’t have the right resources at the school for his needs and the funding was not enough. They are going to try and get more funding (which is fair enough!) and do ‘as much as they can’ to meet the plan, but they also suggested we look at sending him to a different school! 

I am so upset about this, they were fully aware of his needs before he attended and never gave us any indication they can’t care for him until this meeting. I would not have sent him to the school if I believed they couldn’t! The school they suggested is over half an hour away in the car and I can’t drive… None of the other local schools have a SEN school as part of the mainstream school either. He struggles to get settled in new places and I am so scared he will regress if we have to change his school after only a month of being there.

has anyone else experienced anything like this with school?

i just don’t understand why they’ve only just said they can’t care for him… I feel so devastated for him.. it makes me not want to send him back next week.  

should we just go to a different school and not waste our time at this school?

any help/advice is greatly appreciated, as we don’t know who to talk to, we don’t know anyone else with kids that have autism… 

thank you for taking the time to read this. 

Parents Reply Children
No Data