Local Groups - any one got any experience in setting them up?

Has anyone ever tried to set up any local groups?

I live a bit out in the sticks and can't drive, but do work.  This rather means that the scant support group resources there are are all beyond reach for me to participate.  They are in the day when I'm working, or way beyond walking distance at night when there is no transport.  It does leave me rather isolated from other autistic people.  There must be others like me in the neighbourhood, I just don't know who they are, where they are or how we could help each other.  Online communities like this are fantastic.  I'd be lost without you guys. But we all need local chums for that cup of tea when we're down or a laugh over a shared interest, or a hand when you've got a practical problem - from someone face to face too.

With that I posted something on a local community forum, hoping someone will come forward wanting to set something up.

Just wondering if this has worked for anyone else?

Parents
  • I think this is an excellent idea. I feel autistic people need this. At the same time though I suspect both me and my son might struggle to find the courage to attend such a group, even though in principle I like the idea (and my son would if there were people his own age there). 

• Yes, the shyness for some might be a problem.  Just strikes me as sad that for every 100 neighbours we each have at least one of them is like us and we are all sitting their feeling isolated feeling like we are the only one on the planet

• Hi Dawn, there are loads of us who are isolated as you say. I wonder whether your group that you are hypothesising about could potentially meet on alternative weeks face to face and online via video call?

I am part of the Aucademy autistic social group and I recommend this because in this group when on call, there is no pressure to have my camera on and use speech, the majority of people communicate through typing using the chat box. I am very welcome to observe and be in the space just taking everything in and I am still valued as a participant.

I thoroughly recommend this type of format for an autistic social group as it so freeing when I have no neuronormative communication expectations to adhere to. Just a thought.

Also here is a video you may find useful- Autism Social Groups vs Autistic Social Groups:

https://www.youtube.com/live/xldXLp9I6oM?si=mmKMgLG6k87gmuVu

It may give you some ideas about what our community wants from a social group.

• Yes I absolutely agree!

Reply Children
No Data