Local Groups - any one got any experience in setting them up?

Has anyone ever tried to set up any local groups?

I live a bit out in the sticks and can't drive, but do work.  This rather means that the scant support group resources there are are all beyond reach for me to participate.  They are in the day when I'm working, or way beyond walking distance at night when there is no transport.  It does leave me rather isolated from other autistic people.  There must be others like me in the neighbourhood, I just don't know who they are, where they are or how we could help each other.  Online communities like this are fantastic.  I'd be lost without you guys. But we all need local chums for that cup of tea when we're down or a laugh over a shared interest, or a hand when you've got a practical problem - from someone face to face too.

With that I posted something on a local community forum, hoping someone will come forward wanting to set something up.

Just wondering if this has worked for anyone else?

Parents
  • way beyond walking distance at night when there is no transport.  It does leave me rather isolated from other autistic people.  There must be others like me in the neighbourhood

If you have a bike  and are willing to invest in an appropriate number of leaflets, I suggest you blanket your village with these leaflets as an invitation to your ASD group.  I took this kind of action when running my service business but be careful who you choose as a leaflet distributer. I preferred to also invest my own time in their distribution after having been let down by a rogue. Because ASD is rather a niche topic to advertise I would expect a quite small response --- if any---for a village, but you will never know if you don't try.

• way beyond walking distance at night when there is no transport.  It does leave me rather isolated from other autistic people.  There must be others like me in the neighbourhood

If you have a bike  and are willing to invest in an appropriate number of leaflets, I suggest you blanket your village with these leaflets as an invitation to your ASD group.  I took this kind of action when running my service business but be careful who you choose as a leaflet distributer. I preferred to also invest my own time in their distribution after having been let down by a rogue. Because ASD is rather a niche topic to advertise I would expect a quite small response --- if any---for a village, but you will never know if you don't try.

Children