Is it worth making a GP appointment?

I’ve been considering making a GP appointment, as my boyfriend, family members and a few colleagues have mentioned they think I have autistic traits. My mum has said it since I was a little girl, but she didn’t want me to be labelled.

I’ve made a list of symptoms that I think may be linked to autism, but I can make eye contact and can carry ’small talk’ conversations, even though I find it very difficult. I think I’m quite good at looking like I’m comfortable in social settings, and sometimes I am, but I have to have them carefully planned/rehearsed in my mind. I’m apprehensive as my younger brother was instantly turned down from an assessment as he could make eye contact with the assessor.  

Just after some advice from anyone who may have been in the same position. 

Parents
  • To be honest you sound like you are almost talking yourself out of it? Your points sound quite vague, generally when someone knows they are, they just know, end of, having examined all the traits involved etc. People can be socially awkward, or find certain things difficult, it doesn't necessarily mean they are autistic. Sure it's a spectrum, but there's usually a lot more to it than the things you mention. Maybe you could read up on it and try to figure out if you do feel it applies to you and take it from there.

Best case scenario, a GP will want strong indications of it to proceed.

• To be honest you sound like you are almost talking yourself out of it? Your points sound quite vague, generally when someone knows they are, they just know, end of, having examined all the traits involved etc. People can be socially awkward, or find certain things difficult, it doesn't necessarily mean they are autistic. Sure it's a spectrum, but there's usually a lot more to it than the things you mention. Maybe you could read up on it and try to figure out if you do feel it applies to you and take it from there.

Best case scenario, a GP will want strong indications of it to proceed.

Children
No Data