Disability confident

Could we have more information from NAS about David Cameron's Disability Confident initiative launched in July, and how NAS is getting involved?

Part of this is about trying to persuade employers to recruit disabled people. That's something we need to explore on this discussion forum.

They are using poster like "Great Minds Think Differently" and "Unlock Potential" - just I must be looking in all the wrong places for them.

The section on making reasoonable adjustments is frankly scary. Offer a blind person a glass of water.

There's a "Hidden Impairment Toolkit" that includes autism and asperger's syndrome, produced by HING Hidden Impairment National Group. This is the organisation set up to guide the Department of Work and Pensions in understanding disabled needes during the re-assessment of pension eligibility.

So no guesses for how reliable HING's toolkit is going to be. Why isn't NAS providiong a toolkit - unless the best NAS could offer was the Triad of Impairments....

But otherwise autism isn't mentioned.

Is there something we should be told?

Parents
  • Thanks Anil A Mod for getting back to me on this and clarifying what is happening.

When I started this thread on 24th November I hadn't yet seen the launch document dated 21st November. Or the Research report that has percentages that don't add up to 100, and disability categories that read more like their in-house categories for excuses for not working.

I guess though launched in July it hasn't got going until now.

I would also draw to your attention what is showing up in responses to my other thread under Work and Volunteering: Jobcentre Plus disability employment advisers.

My impression of Benefits Offices and Jobcentre plus is secondary information, but I would expect them to make things difficult and act as gatekeepers because they see their role as discouraging people from claiming benefits.

But for Disability Confident to work, Jobcentre Plus has to pass unemployed disabled individuals on to the employer networks and other facilities set up under Disability Confident. One respondent is being gatekeepered away from access to DEAs.

Another has been on Work Choice, but the staff on it clearly don't understand autism.

And if you've seen DWP IHR 16 - their research report on disabled benefit claimants, its not difficult to understand why it is not working.

Can NAS act to draw attention to the failings of the DWP to support the project on the ground?

• Thanks Anil A Mod for getting back to me on this and clarifying what is happening.

When I started this thread on 24th November I hadn't yet seen the launch document dated 21st November. Or the Research report that has percentages that don't add up to 100, and disability categories that read more like their in-house categories for excuses for not working.

I guess though launched in July it hasn't got going until now.

I would also draw to your attention what is showing up in responses to my other thread under Work and Volunteering: Jobcentre Plus disability employment advisers.

My impression of Benefits Offices and Jobcentre plus is secondary information, but I would expect them to make things difficult and act as gatekeepers because they see their role as discouraging people from claiming benefits.

But for Disability Confident to work, Jobcentre Plus has to pass unemployed disabled individuals on to the employer networks and other facilities set up under Disability Confident. One respondent is being gatekeepered away from access to DEAs.

Another has been on Work Choice, but the staff on it clearly don't understand autism.

And if you've seen DWP IHR 16 - their research report on disabled benefit claimants, its not difficult to understand why it is not working.

Can NAS act to draw attention to the failings of the DWP to support the project on the ground?

Children
No Data