Autism assessment service "doesn't exist" in my area.

Hi all, 

I wrote a post last week about having a GP appointment today seeking a referral for an assessment and that I was worried I would be rejected. 

Unfortunately, when I went today, I started to go through my list of "evidence" to try and strengthen my case. Part way into this list she stopped me (politely) to point out that I had seen the child and adolescent mental health service when I was younger a number of times (this was due to anxiety and low mood during my teens), and made the point that surely they would have picked up on something but there was no mention of possible autism in my record. She said this would make it difficult to make a case to get me on a waiting list for referral. She then went on to explain that what is difficult at the moment is that an autism diagnostic service for adults currently "doesn't exist" in my area. I live in East Lothian, Scotland. I was taken aback by this. She then elaborated that it was previously done by psychiatrists but that since covid, to her knowledge, they had shut shop because of the volume on waiting lists. This was a bit confusing as clearly the service does exist but is just not accepting anyone at the moment. She then asked if a diagnosis would really make a difference to me and I said that personally, it really would, it would offer a lot of clarity and quieten a lot of self-doubt about my experiences and feelings. 

She said the only thing she could do was drop them a line which may be bounced back, or maybe I'll get a letter in the post saying im on a waiting list. Overall, it was a confusing and very disappointing experience. I understand that perhaps things would have been picked up when I was younger, but I only started seeing mental health services in my later teens, and I do believe I am a very high-masking individual and had learned a lot of this masking already by this point.

Anyway, i'm at a bit of a loss as to where I stand or what to do now. I was worried i'd not be referred, I never expected to be told an assessment service simply "doesn't exist". Very upset and confused. Any words of advice or wisdom would be much appreciated. 

Parents
  • I had no contact with the NHS or any clinician for mental or behavioural problems before I sought an autism assessment. After being alerted that I and my daughter might be autistic through my daughter's CBT therapist, I researched autism like a man possessed and became fully convinced that my problems and traits fitted an autism profile. I decided to pay for private assessments for both myself and my daughter and we were diagnosed a day apart. Just because people can function in society and never seek help, does not mean that they are not suffering greatly in coping and trying their best at being functional. I just wish that clinicians recognised that being able to do things, but struggling, is often as debilitating, or more so, than not being able to do them at all.

• I had no contact with the NHS or any clinician for mental or behavioural problems before I sought an autism assessment. After being alerted that I and my daughter might be autistic through my daughter's CBT therapist, I researched autism like a man possessed and became fully convinced that my problems and traits fitted an autism profile. I decided to pay for private assessments for both myself and my daughter and we were diagnosed a day apart. Just because people can function in society and never seek help, does not mean that they are not suffering greatly in coping and trying their best at being functional. I just wish that clinicians recognised that being able to do things, but struggling, is often as debilitating, or more so, than not being able to do them at all.

Children